Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Rock and/or Roll!

There are those who call me... Jeremy Goldmeier. Up until this semester at the University of Missouri-Columbia, I lived a fairly complete life, with the usual collegiate pursuits and interests. I remained pretty convinced that I was getting by all right. However, over the past month or so I've come to realize that there was a massive, festering hole in my life experience - I had never attended a True/False Film Festival.

Mark (as you can read below) had already been collaborating with the True/False people for awhile before I entered the picture. But now, I'm sort of riding this wave of group enthusiasm as we near that blessed date when True/False begins (March 1, for those of you still unawares). I'm especially excited to be talking to some of the filmmakers... I'll be interviewing Luke Wolbach, director of "Row Hard No Excuses" tonight, and should have a little feature on that project up for you readers by the end of the week.

Clearly, I'm really eager to check out all of the cinematic happenings, but music buff that I am, I'm barely containing myself at the prospect of seeing a legendary group like the Apples in Stereo live. For those of you who aren't really familiar with the backstory, let me relate it in brief: Apples guru Robert Schneider was one of the principal founders of the Elephant 6 Label, a recording collective in Athens, GA that specialized in psychedelic-leaning pop music. The Apples went on to be one of the leading lights of a genre that critics eventually tagged "indie pop." Some folks out there might have recently seen Schneider on the Colbert Report, supporting Mr. Colbert in his efforts to defeat the Decemberists in a guitar solo contest. In short - the band embodies awesomeness. Also worth noting is this group Mucca Pazza - a thirty piece "punk marching band." Their name means "crazy cow" in Italian, so I'd expect nothing less than insane bovine action once they hit the streets of CoMo.

I don't even smoke, but I do plan to bring a lighter.

More to come...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Apples in Stereo...delicious.